Discover the Medieval Kingdom of Northumbria: explore the ruined castles, quaint villages and wild coastline of North-East England on this day trip from Edinburgh.
Holy Island & Alnwick Castle Day Trip Itinerary
On the morning of your activity, after meeting in the heart of Edinburgh city centre, you'll climb aboard your luxury coach and head south - out of Scotland and into northeast England. Your route will take you down the scenic coastal route, allowing you spectacular views over the rugged landscape surrounding you.
The first stop on your tour will be Holy Island, whose history dates back to the 6th century. This island, connected to the picturesque mainland village of Lindisfarne by a tidal causeway, has been a pilgrimage destination since the Middle Ages. You'll have the opportunity here to explore the ruins of the Priory, the ancient Castle and sample the famous mead traditionally brewed by monks on the island.
Next, you'll continue south, heading in the direction of Alnwick. As well as being a lively market town, this quaint historic area is home to one of the most incredible buildings in Northumberland, the 11th-century Alnwick Castle. You'll have time here to take a relaxed stroll around the town centre or to explore the Medieval castle complex and its elegant gardens, including the Grand Cascade. You might even recognise the grounds... they were used as a filming location in Harry Potter!
Later, you'll make your way back north, crossing the River Tweed into the tiny historic town of Coldstream, which lies on the English-Scottish border. If there's time, you'll stop at the incredibly well-preserved Flodden Field, the site of the infamous battle of 1513 that ended with the death of James IV, King of Scots.
At the end of a magnificent day, you'll return to Edinburgh, where you'll arrive back around 6:15 pm.
Entrance to castles
This tour doesn't include entrance fees to the castles and gardens so that you have the freedom to tailor your itinerary by choosing which optional extras you'd like to enjoy. On arrival at the attractions, you'll be offered the choice of paying to visit:
- Lindisfarne Priory: £6.30 adults, £5.70 concessions, £3.80 children
- Lindisfarne Castle: £7.30 adults, £3.60 children
- Alnwick Castle: £12 adults, £6 children
- Alnwick Gardens: £9.80 adults, £4 children
- Alnwick Castle & Gardens: £21 adults, £9 children
Please note that some attractions to not accept credit cards, so we recommend bringing enough cash for the attractions you'd like to visit.
- The itinerary of this tour is subject to modification based on the tidal timetable at Lindisfarne. On the 24th June and the 10th July it will not be possible to visit Lindisfarne due to the tides, and Bamburgh Castle will be visited instead.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 5 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 35% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Seniors over 60 years oldUS$ 53.80
Student with valid IDUS$ 53.80
Children between 5 and 16 years oldUS$ 53.80
* The price varies based on the chosen date
9 hours 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Transport by luxury air conditioned coach.
Entrance to attractions.
Food and drinks.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Edinburgh).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Ensign Ewart pub.