Scottish National Gallery
The National Gallery of Scotland is the national art gallery that features both Scottish and international works of art from the birth of the Renaissance to Post-Impressionism.
The museum, which opened in 1859, is housed in an elegant neo-classical building designed by William Henry Playfair. The imposing building is situated on The Mound, an artificial slope, just off Princes Street.
The National Gallery of Scotland is distributed on three floors, where valuable paintings are hung and brought to life on various colourful walls.
The best fine art is located on the ground and first floors (south). This part of the gallery features works of art by the most renowned European artists from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century as well as Impressionist paintings. Some of the most famous painters include Tiziano, El Greco, Velazquez, Rembrandt, Rubens, Van Gogh, Monet, Cezanne or Gauguin.
On the top floor (north) visitors will find the works of art by Italian, Belgian and Dutch artists before 1530. The exhibition includes paintings by Raphael like “The Bridgewater Madonna”.
The basement is perhaps the least-interesting part of the gallery, but relevant to its status as Scotland's national gallery. It houses a collection of Scottish art and various temporary exhibitions. “The Skating Minister” by Henry Raeburn is located on this floor: one of the country’s best-known paintings.
Not to be missed!
All travellers visiting Edinburgh should go to the National Gallery of Scotland. The neo-classical building is breath-taking and it features works of art by various important artists. Moreover, the museum is in the city centre, very near Princes Street and entry is free. A museum couldn’t offer more than the National Gallery of Scotland, and visitors are sure to leave satisfied.
Open daily: 10 am – 5 pm
Buses: All buses that go by the city centre or Princes Street pass by the Scottish National Gallery.
Museum on the Mound (185 m) The Writers’ Museum (203 m) Scott Monument (206 m) Princes Street Gardens (216 m) Gladstone’s Land (224 m)