- New Years Day: 1 January
- New Year Holiday: 2 January
- Good Friday: Friday before Easter Sunday
- Easter Monday: (the date changes from year to year)
- May Day public holiday: First Monday in May
- Spring public holiday: Last Monday in May
- August public holiday: First Monday in August
- St Andrew’s Day (patron saint of Scotland): 30 November
- Christmas: 25 December
- Boxing Day (St Stephens Day): 26 December. Boxing day is the first day of the winter sales in Scotland and it is a custom to give your family and friends a small gift.
When any of the public holidays fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the next Monday is a bank holiday instead.
Edinburgh's Festival, renowned worldwide, is made up of numerous events and special acts. If you want to find out when they take place, see the following article: Edinburgh's festivals.