Imposing castles, grand palaces and mythical mansions: discover Scotland from a new perspective exploring the filming locations of legendary TV series The Outlander on this tour from Edinburgh.
Edinburgh Outlander Tour Itinerary
On the morning of your tour, you'll be picked up from the meeting point in the heart of Edinburgh, ready for a day exploring the filming locations of The Outlander. Leave the city behind and head deep into the Scottish countryside, embracing the scenery which inspired the historical time travel TV show. The first stop on your tour will be Midhope Castle, where you'll stop to take photos of the site known as "Lallybroch Castle" in the series.
Next, you'll continue on to Blackness Castle. Explore this magnificent 15th century castle and admire the views from the striking ship-like fortifications over the Firth of Forth, before heading to the next stop on the tour, the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow. You'll have the opportunity here to visit Linlithgow Palace. Ironically built as a relaxing royal retreat, these imposing ruins act as "Wentworth Prison" in the TV series!
The Outlander Tour of Scotland will then take you to Callendar House, a stately home which dates back to the 14th century. After admiring the elegant chateau-style mansion and visiting its famous kitchen, you'll head on to the Royal Burgh of Culross. Strolling through the cobblestone streets of this picturesque village, you'll feel as though you've stepped straight into 17th century Scotland.
The last stop on your tour will be at Hoptoun House, a majestic stately home set in beautiful grounds. You'll have time here to tour the house, or to wander through the country estate and deer park, before returning to Edinburgh, where your day trip will come to an end.
- The itinerary of this tour is subject to modification based on the opening times and availability of sites on the route. In the event that any of the destinations on this tour are temporarily closed, you'll visit an alternative site.
This tour doesn't include entrance fees to the attractions, so you have the freedom to tailor your itinerary by choosing which optional extras you'd like to enjoy. Please note that some attractions to not accept credit cards, so we recommend bringing enough cash for the attractions you'd like to visit.
The minimum age to take part in this activity is 5 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 35% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Seniors over 60 years oldUS$ 51
Student with valid IDUS$ 51
Children between 5 and 16 years oldUS$ 51
* The price varies based on the chosen date
9 hours 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Transport by luxury air conditioned coach.
Food and drinks.
Entrance to attractions.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Ensign Ewart pub.