JK Rowling gave life to Harry Potter in Edinburgh, and with this free walking tour, you'll discover the places that inspired the writer to create the iconic magical series.
Edinburgh Free Harry Potter Tour
"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on". This phrase from Sirius Black sums up the success of the Harry Potter Saga: it's not just about Magic, but much more. the tour meets in the central High Street (Royal Mile) to discover all the corners of the Scottish capital which inspired J.K. Rowling while she created her famous saga.
During our free tour of Edinburgh we'll pass through Victoria Street, a serpentine street where you can buy tunics, owls, wands, spellbooks... oops, wrong place. Although if you look closely you can see the striking similarities between this street and Diagon Alley from the books.
Where did JK Rowling first start writing these books? Hiding from the Scottish rain, the writer began to write some of the first chapters of Harry Potter in The Elephant House, a café just around the corner from Victoria Street.
Whether or not it's a coincidence, through the rain-soaked windows of the café, Rowling saw the Greyfriars Kirkyard Cemetary, where you can see the tomb of a certain Thomas Riddle. Although perhaps it would be better not to mention you know who...
We will complete our free tour of Harry Potter admiring other landmarks such as George Heriot’s School. Its students are assigned into four different sections or "houses". Sound familiar? A clue: "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus”, or "Never tickle a sleeping dragon".
- You may not take this free Harry Potter tour of Edinburgh if you are a group of more than 14 people.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. The maximum number of children permitted is 3 per adult.
- This tour does not enter into any of the monuments, rather visiting their exterior.
- This free Harry Potter tour is not an official Warner Bros and J.K. Rowling route.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 14 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
1 hour 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Expert Harry Potter guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (1:00 pm) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
367 High Street (Royal Mile), next to the St. Giles Cathedral