Join a local historian on this walking tour of Edinburgh, learning everything you need to know to capture the spirit of "The Athens of the North" from its literary history to its dark past...
Dive into the little known Edinburgh, away from the tourist trail and into the heart an soul of the Scottish capital. From hidden Victorian gardens to centuries-old buildings with plenty a story attached, Edinburgh’s history is long and fascinating, made even more special when told by enthusiastic and passionate guides.
Leaving from the Old Police Box (otherwise known as the Tardis, after Doctor Who's famous time machine) on the Royal Mile, This tour will take you into parts of Edinburgh that you did not know existed, off the tourist trail.
Hear about how the first skyscrapers in the world were built, the famous criminal who was the inspiration for Jekyll & Hyde, where the word Black Market came from, Ebeneezer Scrooge's grave and how Edinburgh University worked with serial killers Burke & Hare.
This is an Edinburgh tour you don't want to miss, and one which will mean you never look at the city in quite the same way again...
- Children over 5 are welcome on the tour accompanied by an adult. Unfortunately we cannot accept children under 5 years old.
- Most of the tour is wheelchair accessible, but the part taking in the underground vaults is not, as access is via a spiral staircase only. Remember that Edinburgh's streets are lined with cobblestones, and for this reason, you should also wear comfortable shoes.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 10% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 10% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|English Language Tour||
English Language Tour
1 hour 30 minutes.
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking expert guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the same day (12:30 pm) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (most areas are accessible).
Old Police Box (Tardis) on the Royal Mile